Back when I gave the tour of Roxie's room, I pointed out that there were lots of outgrown or no-longer-used items in her closet that needed to get put away in the attic. One thing in particular jumped out at me: her Christmas dress.
So out came the scissors:
I am awful at visualizing things when it comes to sewing, so of course I pinned the casing for the elastic to the wrong side of the skirt.
I sewed the casing to the right side of the skirt using a zigzag stitch to allow for some stretch (leaving a gap at the back of the skirt so that I could thread the elastic through). The velvet fabric already had stretch to it, and I know from experience that stretch is necessary when trying to dress a wiggly toddler.
Then I threaded the elastic through. I used 3/8" elastic because it's what I had.
And here's what it looked like from the front:
I am very pleased with the outcome! Especially since (1) it fits Roxie and (2) it has survived two washings so far. That's really all I can ask!
As an added bonus, the top of the old dress became a cute holiday outfit for Roxie's beloved walrus:
So before you donate or store last year's Christmas dress, see if you can upcycle it into next year's Christmas skirt!
And, I promise, we'll be back to our regularly-scheduled DIY home blog soon!